Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:30:37 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with OpenBSD dhclient

--rMWmSaSbD7nr+du9

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 12:08:45PM -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 11:58 -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > I'm seeing this as well.  I think we're going to need to handle wireless
> > and wired interfaces differently since their links work differently.
>=20
> I tend to disagree with this view.  In general, while wired connections
> may often be more persistent than wireless connections, that's not
> necessarily always true.  It's certainly possible to move a system
> between wired connections as well
>=20
> I think that it makes more sense for the configuration of the two types
> to be the same, anyway, just for consistency.  It's the same basic
> problem that is being solved, and if the solution for wireless
> interfaces is reasonably robust, it should work just fine for wired ones
> as well.

The problem with attemping to keep them looking the same is that
wireless interfaces have more complex state.  We're currently trying to
paper over that, but it isn't really working.  With wired interfaces, you
either have a cable with something on it plugged in or you don't (at
least until we get 802.1x support).  With wireless interfaces, you can
change association relativly seamlessly so mapping associate/deassociate
to linkup/linkdown as we do now is bogus.  In the end, from the user
perspective, there should be no visiable difference between wired and
wireless interfaces unless you try mucking with the devd config or need
to use WPA.

-- Brooks

--=20

--rMWmSaSbD7nr+du9