Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 05:27:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@legend.txdirect.net>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
Cc:        "Jeffrey D. Dean ROOT" <root@jd-unix.wpafb.af.mil>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting a NETWARE drive to a FreeBSD directory

On Mon, 24 Jul 1995, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 1995, Jeffrey D. Dean ROOT wrote:
>
> I hear there is a NFS module for Netware... have you looked into it?
> this would allow your FreeBSD machine to mount the partion using NFS
> which is Unix native instead of having to write a whole new driver...
> just a though... btw I am not at all experienced with Netware I am just
> repeating what I have hear/read...  TTYL...
>
> John-Mark
>
> gurney_j@efn.org
> Modem/FAX: (503) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Have you ever seen the NFS module for Netware?  I have, matter of fact it
was my job to get our Sparc's (Development Network) talking to the
existing Novell network.  I talked to the Novell manager and she said,
"No problem I see Novell has TCP/IP and NFS as add on NLM's". I'm no Novell
junkie so don't ask specifics.  I do know that it cost several K$ for the
software and quite a bit more to have a guy come out once a week to rebuild
the Novell server after a transfer(5-50megs) from our network to the Novell
file-server clobbered the damn thing.
(excuse my French, it's not random cursing, it's emphisis)
(The following is second hand, take it FWIW)
Turned out that somehow the NFS NLM was allocating space in other NLM's
space for buffers and thus writing trash all over their code & data.  I
heard that it MIGHT be fixed in the next relase and
until then you need to allocate something like 4-8MB of buffer space for
NFS on the server. (32Meg machine serving 100 users over ARCNET)
(Thats all I needed to know about Novell)

I turned to a company called Puzzle Systems who had Novell Client
software for Suns.  It worked.  They might have something of interest for
you.  (I'll see if I can scare up their number after I get some ZZZ's)

---
Rob Snow
rsnow@txdirect.net