Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 18:26:50 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntpd - VERY old folks, how about updating? :-)

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 01:15:13AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20000101093905.B11872@Denninger.Net>, Karl Denninger writes:

> >> Remember to get the kernel code involved.  To do this:
> >>
> >> 	create a driftfile containing "0 1\n"
> >> 	start xntpd
> >>
> >> That will help.
> >
> >No it won't.  I've been running xntpd for oh, four or five years now on
> >various things.  Yes, the drift file is there (and has been).  Still got the
> >step time messages.
>
> Uhm, Karl, please try to calm down, OK ?
>
> I didn't talk about having a driftfile, I talked about using the kernel
> PLL:  ("Remember to get the kernel code involved.")
>
> With xntpd the kernel-pll is very optional, in fact only the source tells
> you that the magic secret second field in your driftfile controls if
> the kernel-PLL should be used or not.

Yes, and my driftfile had that parameter in there.  Uhm, Poul, remember I've
been at this for just a LITTLE while.  Xntpd is something I had deployed
back in my *Sun* days (back when FreeBSD was, well, non-existent)

> Anyway, ntpd4 is in CURRENT...

Now it is.

And it works correctly too.

Thanks anyway, even with the attitude.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: http://childrens-justice.org
Isn't it time we started putting KIDS first?  See the above URL for
a plan to do exactly that!