Date:      Mon, 4 Jul 2011 13:39:21 +0300
From:      Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and controlling an alarm via relay

Hello, sorry for the cross-post but i believe this question might seat in both lists.
I am the guy who had the done the old 1.23.3 zoneminder port some years ago, and i am thinking of installing/testing
the new 1.24.4 port, submitted by bsam@FreeBSD.org.
Besides the basic functions, i am thinking of re-using some old techniques by which i controlled
the home alarm via a NC/NO circuit (basically it was an enhanced door contact),
driven by an old zyXel modem,  which in turn was driven by a small perl program driving the com port, and
which was called by a deamon reading zoneminder shared memory info directly.
That way i could trigger the alarm system getting into alarm state, whenever zoneminder detected motion,
in a fully controlled and programmatic way.

Now i am thinking of re-doing this, a little bit more modern, if possible. I was thinking of some relay board
(instead of the old modem), possibly ethernet controlled (to get rid of all the obsolete com port programming),
and such. Also i will scrap the old NO/NC solution (circuit embded in the door contact), and i wil use instead a new
dedicated wireless transimter i bought (same brand as the alarm system), which is also NC/NO and receives
two inputs and corresponds to two zones. So i am thinking of assigning 2 cameras as two disctinct zones
in the alarm system.

That is the rough idea. What would you guys have to recommend (regarding the relay?). I do not plan to use
this relay for power/lights on/off and such, at this stage it will function solely to drive the alarm transimtter,
(which in turn will drigger an alarm to the central alarm control panel)

Thanks
--
Achilleas Mantzios