Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 23:07:34 +0300
From:      Yoav Cohen-Sivan <ycs@netvision.net.il>
To:        allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle and Linux

allen campbell wrote:

> Been there, done that.  Do this even if you don't want it.  You
> can bet they are watching the numbers.

That would be a big mistake. Flood them with thousands of phoney
requests, get them to commit megabucks in the Freenix space. Then, when
they release the product, say: "Um, sorry... we just wanted you to port,
we don't really need it." Having only 50 people buy it, after thousands
clamored, will reach one goal only: you can bet Oracle will drop out of
the Freenix scene for the next ten years. Not to mention them telling
other companies what a waste of resources it was.

Let true market forces work. No need to cheat someone into a port, when
there is no real demand for it, just so we can say: "Look, we have ten
gazillion apps..."

> One administrator who recognizes the potential of Linux is worth
> several ordinary admins, and one FreeBSD admin is worth at least
> three or four typical Linux guys. :)

Jordan wrote a really nice editorial for freshmeat.net, about a month
ago, on this topic. Why do Linux and FreeBSD advocates hate each other
so much? We are in this together.

	Yoav