Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:14:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Emulation)
Subject:   Help, PLEASE, with VMWare setup (2nd try)

	I am reinstalling FreeeBSD on my HP Omnibootk 7100 laptop. It's a
	multiboot machine, and i am doing this to gain more space for FreebSD,
	and also using this oportunity to move up to FreebS 4.0 STABLE.

	The machine has an 8G disk which I have repartioned as follows:

	slice 1 NT 4.0
	slice 2 DOS (yes really)
	slice 3 FreeBSD 4.0

	The FreebSD bootloader is loaded inot the first 64 bolcks (or is that
	63), and the NT boot loader lives on slice 2. It just sort of happende
	that way. So the FreeBSD bootloader presents thes choices when the
	machine is brought up.

	F1 DOS
	F2 DOS
	F3 FreeBSD

	Chooosing F1 is  dead end, choosing F2 takes you to the NT bootloader
	which presnet NT and DOS as choices. All this works.

	I am tired of rebooting to use the few NT/FOS apps that I need to run.
	I would like to use VMWARE, but I have not been able to make it work,
	yet.

	Here is what i have done:

	1. Built the VMWare 2 port.
	2. Grabed, built, and insatlled the linuxprocfs port mentioned by this
	   port.
	3. Aquired a demo key, and installed it (no sense in spending money if
	   I can't make this work).
	4. Ran the VMWare install wizzard and set up two environments.
	   a. virtual 200M disk fo DOS
	   b raw disk for DOS using hte entire disk.

	here is what happens when I try to run these:

	a. Place DOS install disk in floppy drive. Start VMWare. Result 90+
	   percent use of CPU cycles for 15_ minutes, then I bailed out.
	b. Imediate core dump.

	The machine is a PII 266MHZ, with 96M of memory. I have cvsuped the
	latest REL_ENG4 on Wednesday of this week, alos the ports tree.

	I must be doing somehting wrong, pepolpe do have this working, right? I
	have read the VMWare docs and I don;t see what I am doing rong.

	Could any kind souls make any sugestions as to what to try> Is the a
	doc on making this work on FreeBSD?

	Any help, at all, will be appreciated.

	Thanks.

--