Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 05:18:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with large memory configs?

Hi,

I seem to be seeing a pattern here as we upgrade some boxes from 1GB to
2GB of memory...  We get random lockups.  No panic, just a hang.  And only
during high cpu load.  Been through the hardware (server boards are both
Supermicro and Intel) and we're not seeing any heat problems, all the fans
are spinning, etc.

I seem to recall a few threads not too long ago where people with busy
machines running 2GB+ of memory and high loads were seeing similar.  Wish
I had a crashdump to share, but it's just hanging.

Can anyone comment on recent vm changes from 4.6.2 -> 4.7 -> -stable?
These boxes are all a step behind at 4.6.2.

And if anyone has general troubleshooting tips for this sort of situation,
I'd appreciate it.  We are collecting a whole mess of stats
(vmstat,iostat,ps,pstat,netstat -m,netstat) every five minutes.  But all
that's telling me is when the machine works hard, it locks up...

Thanks,

Charles

--
Charles Sprickman