Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 01:58:59 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does 3C589D using ep0 need PAO?

Good day, all.

I've just bought my first notebook PC and I'm trying to get my
3Com 3C589D ethernet card going.  After searching through my
year's worth of -mobile messages, I've made some progress (used DOS
to read card settings, setup pccard.conf, pccard_ifconfig in rc.conf,
compiled custom kernel) but I'm to the point where I'm getting the
"driver allocation failed for 3Com Corporation" message.

This is a new Toshiba Tecra with Cardbus compatible slots,
but they are set in the BIOS to "automatic" mode which seems
to allow them to operate in Non-Cardbus mode also
(set to Cardbus mode as an experiment, even Win95 didn't see
the card)
I'm presuming that the fact that pccardc dumpcis does give me
info, plus the fact that I get a beep and "Card removed" /
"Card inserted" messages (but NOT the strings in pccard.conf)
means that the PC-card slots themselves are "working".
Plus, the LED on the dongle lights up, which I took as a
good sign.

For now, I just have one simple question:
If I want to use the "ep0" driver with pccardd, do I, or do
I _not_ need to get the PAO patches for the 3C589D?
My -mobile archives seemed to show different opinions on
this question!  I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.5 (BETA from Saturday).

Okay, how about one more question: is the "driver allocation
failed" message indicative of a simple known problem?

Thanks,

Gary