Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:58:53 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Calculating swap file size

Since memory isn't very expensive these days, I'm thinking of adding more RAM to
my FreeBSD machine; it has 256 MB, but I was thinking of going to 1 GB, which is
the capacity of this machine.  Currently, I have a 800 MB swap partition (or is
it a slice?--I know it's not a filesystem) defined.  Is this enough for 1 GB of
RAM?  Is there any kind of strong correlation between RAM size and swap file
size that I have to be concerned about?  Does FreeBSD resort to swap only when
RAM is exhausted, or does it have to use the swap file all the time (as in a
one-to-one VM mapping scheme)?  If the swap file is of less than optimal size,
what happens?

I looked at the swapinfo command and it shows 0% of the swap file used (the
system is not heavily loaded by any measure).