Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:18:49 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I do not understand kernel modules

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 03:57:35PM +0100, Colin J. Raven wrote:
> On Jan 21 at 08:42, Gardner Bell wrote:
>=20
> >>>

> >> Yes, I understand now. The problem is that my old pentium machine takes
> >> very long time to compile all the modules even if I am not going to use
> >> them. I would like to compile only the modules I use, to reduce
> >> compiling time. Is that possible?
> >>
> > Refer to the option MODULES_OVERRIDE in man make.conf(5) if you wish
> > to only compile certain modules.
>=20
> Thanks for this! I'm approaching a critical  "rite of passage" today=20
> conincidentally, by recompiling my kernel and getting rid of stuff I=20
> don't need.
> Doing what you suggest sounds eminently sensible, yet I have to ask a=20
> followup question...
>=20
> How do you specify a particular make.conf that should *only* be used for=
=20
> recompiling kernels?

As far as I know, there is no need to do so - some knobs are relevant
only to buildworld/buildkernel and others are only relevant to ports
builds, and some bits are relevant to both.  The build system is smart
enough to not contaminate environments with bits that shouldn't be
there.

At least, this is my understanding of it...

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \