Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 08:39:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mariusz Potocki <potok@friko.onet.pl>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DOOM port and 8-bit sound

On 18-Oct-97 Donald Burr wrote:

>I am one of those unlucky few who still have an 8-bit sound card (the
>sound driver identifies it as "SoundBlaster Pro 3.2"...
>
>I lack the money to upgrade, and frankly can't think of a compelling
>reason to.  I'm not a big sound guy and don't even play games that much --
>and the 8-bit card serves my needs adequately (mostly dinking around with
>MIDI files and doing sound over the Web, e.g. RealAudio).
>
>However the other day I got the sudden urge to play DOOM, and so I
>installed the DOOM port (version 1.8, which, I believe is the latest
>version).  But when I went to play it I got the most horrific sound out of
>my speakers!!  A really nasty "screeching" type sound!!
>
>I then remembered something from the days when I used to run Linux: DOOM
>outputs 16-bit sound, but my card can't handle 16-bit.  There was a
>software patch floating around that would patch DOOM to output 8-bit
>sounds, and I know it works because I used to use it!  But I can't for the
>life of me remember the filename of the patch, and I searched around some
>of the Linux archives in vain.
>
>Does anyone know if this patch is still around, and whether it works (or
>can be made to work) under FreeBSD?  If so, please e-mail me.
>
>FYI I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE.
>
>Many thanks in advance!

I've had this same problem with 8 bit sound card.
I have good news for you.
This small patch from Linux world works also with FreeBSD (with small hacking of
 course :).
I can mail it for you, when I find it (sorry, big mess around me).
Patched kernel kompiles almost without problems, just few warnings.
Sound if very funny, but in some README I read that is common situation in Doom
even with 16 bit sound card.

Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
>WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
>Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
>Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.

Mariusz

        "verba volant,
                scripta manent"