Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:37:12 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        bde@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: /boot.foo madness

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>Because of the introduction of these three files:
>
>	/boot.config
>	/boot.help
>	/kernel.config
>
>New RELENG_2_2 installations now come up with a root filesystem which
>contains none of these files, resulting in 3 fairly ominous-looking
>error messages on startup and a complete lack of boot help.  This is
>simply not an acceptable scenario, and the question I'd like to bring
>before you all is: "How do we want to fix it?"

# Am I a part of the guilty party of this madness?  Maybe...

Anyway, why not just suppress error messages.  That's the simplest
solution/kludge.  None of the above three files are mandatory.  If we
are concerned about the lack of help messages, we should provide just
one line such as:

    Usage: bios_drive:interface(unit,partition)kernel_name options

I don't think we can cram more in the boot code.  That's basically why
/boot.help was created in the first place, I guess.

Kazu