Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 01:16:42 -0500
From:      pv <pv@lokmail.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Epson's weird cartridge-replacement rules

I have an Epson Stylus Color 480SXU USB printer which I got for free from one of the parental units. I'm running FreeBSD 4.2. I notice the included "Start Here" insert states: "Don't open an ink cartridge clamp to remove a cartridge except to replace it with a new one. Once you remove a cartridge, you can't reuse it, even if it contains ink." There is a Windows utility that warns when the ink is low (there's no low-ink light). If one does need to replace an old or damaged cartridge before the ink runs out, a special Windows utility needs to be run for that. I'm thinking this sort of setup wouldn't lend itself well to non-Windows environments.

I had lots of bad luck with Epsons and cartidge replacements at my last job and am wondering if I should just take the other choice, a Cannon BJC-2000 parallel instead. If I do take the Cannon, I get a free Color-Image Scanner Cartidge which also contains Windows software. Would I necessarily need that to get it to scan under *BSD? I'm thinking not, but I could be wrong...

P.S. The Epson insert further reads: "Keep ink cartridges out of the reach of children and do not drink the ink." I want to know if anyone's tried this and what the motivation was.