Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:07:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kldload and booting

I am setting up an old computer to act as a router and I will be using the
4.2-RELEASE kernel, at least for now.  The machine does not have much
space for full sources so I cannot build a kernel.

Since the default kernel does not support ipnat I will told that I could
use kldload to load ipl so that I can.  I imagine I would also load ipfw
so I could add the divert rules.  So here is my question, assuming I am
able to configure this to work once, will it work after a reboot?

I am not sure what exact commands to use yet to get ipnat running, but I
am thinking I will have to load ipl and ipfw again after a reboot.  Is
there a better way to do it than creating a startup script and placing it
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d?

It is seems that I could put these lines into /boot/loader.conf

ipl_load="YES"
ipfw_load="YES"

I am thinking this will load the necessary features I need for ipnat.  If
this is the proper way to do something like this, I would appreciate
someone giving the nod.  If not, please help me learn of another way.

Brennan Stehling - software developer and system administrator
  my projects:
       home.offwhite.net (free personal hosting)
       www.greasydaemon.com (bsd search)