Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 09:50:46 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        gus@algonet.se (Gustaf Tham)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up printer in freeBSD 4.2

Gustaf Tham <gus@algonet.se> types:

> Francois,

Gustaf,

Since I don't have the originail mail or Fracois's address, could you
forward this to him?

> The simplest way to set up printing is probably to use apsfilter.
> You don't have to read the handbook, I think  :-)

Pretty much all correct, but I wanted to add some notes.  In
particular, apsfilter is the easiest filter to set up, because the
SETUP script does all the work, but the filter proper has a few
glitches that can cause things to fail when they shouldn't. In
particular, extraneous error messages when printing postscript files
on postscript printers, and failing to print ascii text files on some
printers. If you run into one of those, magicfilter is fairly simple
to install - especially if you've already run the apsfilter SETUP -
and doesn't have those problems.

> 1. Install gs (ghostscript) from the ports collection

The apsfilter port will install this for you - even if you don't need
it :-(. If you need something other than the default install - A4
paper, for instance - you should install ghostscript yourself.

> 2. Install apsfilter
> 3. Run apsfilter's SETUP program in /usr/local/share/apsfilter
>     (I think),
>     select your printer, port, resolution etc; test printing.
> 4. I had to edit /etc/printcap, since the device lp was used
>     twice.  Comment out the one not belonging to apsfilter.

The printcap installed by FreeBSD doesn't have any active printers in
it, so you added this at some point before installing apsfilter.

> 5. Check that /etc/rc.conf contains the line
>     lpd_enable="YES"
> 5. Reboot.

The reboot isn't needed. About the only setting on FreeBSD that
requires a reboot is lowering the kernel security level. For lpd, just
run /usr/sbin/lpd as root to start the line printer daemon. That gets
you to this state:

> Now you can print most files by a simple lpr filename, without
> having to worry if they are plain text, PostScript, HTML etc.

After you're satisified that the lpd is working - plus anything else
that's caused you to modify /etc/rc.conf - you might want to reboot
the system just to verify that your changes to rc.conf didn't break
the boot sequence. If it did, you'll be dealing with it while the
changes are fresh in your mind, not whenever you happen to reboot the
system next.

	<mike