Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:46:41 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Marko Lerota <mlerota@iskon.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

On Feb 28, 2008, at 3:08 PM, Marko Lerota wrote:
> In http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html says
>
> Updating Existing Systems
>> An upgrade of any existing system to FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE constitutes
>> a major version upgrade, so no matter which method you use to update
>> an older system you should reinstall any ports you have installed on
>> the machine. This will avoid binaries becoming linked to inconsistent
>> sets of libraries when future port upgrades rebuild one port but not
>> others that link to it. This can be done with:
>
> # portupgrade -faP
>
> etc...
>
> Why!!!

The comment above tells you: "This will avoid binaries becoming linked
to inconsistent sets of libraries when future port upgrades rebuild
one port but not others that link to it."

> Do you know how much time I have to spend with my PC to reinstall
> all of this programs from ports? Only openoffice takes one day! And
> where
> is Gnome and such...There must be other way...I would not reinstall my
> packages ;)

Sure, you could stick with 6.3 for quite some time.

> Then the servers. Why should I reinstall all my databases and such?
> I always
> liked that FreeBSD base (OS) is separated from packages. And no
> matter what I
> do with the packages, my OS will always work. I don't want dependency
> hell like in Linux. Now you are telling me that my database might
> not work
> after upgrade to a new version. Is that it?

Not exactly.  The 6.x binaries will continue to work just fine under
7.0, so long as you don't recompile any of the libraries they are
using.  However, as soon as you start upgrading anything, you will end
up with programs trying to pull in the 6.x and 7.x version of libc
etc, and that will cause problems.

Note that the portupgrade command given above will try to download
precompiled binaries where available, rather than requiring you to
compile everything locally.

--
-Chuck