Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:23:50 -0400
From:      jamgill <jamgill@gmail.com>
To:        Yuri Pankov <yuri.pankov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reclaiming /var capacity?

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Yuri Pankov <yuri.pankov@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 02:30:08PM -0400, j. wrote:
> > Where did my capacity go and how can I get it back?
> >
> > deathray# du -sh /var
> >  70M    /var
> >

> > deathray# df -h /var
> > Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/da0d     248M    214M     15M    94%    /var
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > --j.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/disks.html#DU-VS-DF

Thanks, Yuri.   According to the FAQ you linked, wouldn't a good smattering
of "sync ; sync ; sync ; sync ; sync" cause the the two to reflect the sizes
accurately?   This problem has been going on for some time now, so I have
more than exceeded the recommendation to "wait up to 30 seconds".

It does appear that softupdates are on, if that matters.

deathray# dumpfs /var | grep -i soft
flags   soft-updates

As the FAQ and Neal's response point out, this is where logs go, but I have
cleaned out logs several times over the last few months, so that doesn't
appear to be the problem:

deathray# du -sh /var/log
1.5M    /var/log

I am also not sure what to make of the 5% inode usage on this volume:

deathray# df -hi /var
Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/da0d     248M    214M     15M    94%    1720 31302    5%   /var

--j.