Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:48:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running independent kernel instances on dual-Xeon/E7500 system

Sorry for the unhelpful first posting.  I sent a more detailed letter via
private mail, recommending he look into the exokernel papers.

My dismissiveness was due to anticipating the direction this was going,
which is nicely shown by the response below.  In short, dedicated
processors for IO were used in the minicomputer days but are wasteful
nowadays when you have lightweight interrupts and/or polling when
appropriate.

If your scheduler sucks, fix it.  If a device needs extra processing
equivalent to another N Ghz CPU, the vendor will add silicon.  The "S" in
SMP is for symmetric, lest we forget.

-Nate