Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:33:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hardware for small Samba server?

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> I am planning to setup a small Samba server to support 5 to 10 people.
> They will be doing mostly word processing.
>
> I am planning to get two 3.2 Gig drives. How much memory will be enough
> for this?
>
> current plans:
> -AMD 266Mhz or 300Mhz
> -Two 3.2Gig Ultra SCSII
> -96MB ECC 8ns SDRAM DIMMs (64 + 32)
>
> The goal is to come up with a system less than $2000 (including tape
> backup, monitor, etc..)
>
> The price difference in the AMD CPUs from 233 to 300 is so little (less
> than $35) that I am tempted to go with a 300. Same for memory 10ns vs
> 8ns.

Since a 486-66, 16MB RAM, and a 1GB drive would probably be sufficient
for 20 or 30 people pushing small files back and forth, anything you get
nowadays would be enough.  :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */