Date:      Sat, 18 May 2013 19:27:12 -0400
From:      Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
Subject:   Re: Hot Swapping SATA drive?

>Be aware that Windows up through XP doesn't
>> support ahci,

> There is a huge amount of information via a quick Google search that
> would seem to contradict your statements regarding WinXP and AHCI.

Sorry, poor choice of wording. I meant earlier versions of Windows don't
support achi *natively*. As your links suggest, you can sometimes find
that your manufacturer will provide a driver that lets you fake out
WinXP into being ok with your board's implementation of ahci (usually by
emulating SCSI), but it's not a universal solution.

it has a certain smooth-brained appeal