Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 13:44:09 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Oct 20 snap install...

> Fine, After I figured out that I had to enable the host adapter BIOS on
> my Adaptec 1542C, booteasy allowed me to select the second disk for
> booting.  However, the kernel was convinced that it was booting from sd1,
> not sd0 and thus paniced when it tried to mount its root filesystem.

Hmmmmm.  That's interesting.  Did you see both wd0 and sd0 in the
disks menu when you were installing it?  Just curious, 'cause I've not
had the chance to test that particular scenario before.

> I made a new kernel that specified the root device as sd0.  It still
> didn't work.  Finally, I looked at the biosboot code to figure out what
> the command line switches meant and got things working by typing -r at
> the boot prompt.

Those those contortions really shouldn't have been necessary.  I'm
puzzled.

> * Can the boot prompt switches be document in a useful place, i.e. at
>   the boot prompt?

Not enough room to document them there..  We're at the wall for bytes
as it is.. :-(

> * Can I set things up so I can boot without typing -r every time?

You could re-write your bootblocks with an implicit assumption of
sd1, I guess.  Still, I have no idea why this thing thinks it's sd1!
That makes simply *no sense* for a drive 0 on your Adaptec!  It's not
like the IDE drive is supposed to bump the SCSI drive count! :-)

> * Why does the kernel think it is booting from sd1 anyway?

Good question.

> * The "progress bars" in sysinstall often overshoot the right border of
>   their box.

That's actually the cursor, I'm afraid, and everything I've tried to
get rid of it simply doesn't work.  We get to live with this one.

> * What exactly is the intended action of "Undo all" from the
>   slice and disklabel screens?  I got terribly disoriented when
>   selcting that option.  If the intent is to undo all actions
>   performed on *that screen*, it should undo them, but remain
>   on that screen.  If the intent is to undo *all* slicing and labeling
>   then it should return the user to the main menu.

It undoes everything, I'm afraid.  I could make a more intelligent
undo, but that's going to have to wait for 2.2.. :-(

> * The difference between FTP active and FTP passive needs to be
>   documented on the media selection help screen.

OK.

					Jordan