Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 23:08:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu (David E. O'Brien)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hacker's list)
Subject:   Re: libraries

> > HTTCP.c:68: conflicting types for `sys_errlist'
> > /usr/include/stdio.h:244: previous declaration of `sys_errlist'
> > *** Error code 1
>
> This error is a commonn problem.  Comment it out in httcp.c or add
> #ifndef __FreeBSD__ #endif (from memory) around the declaration.  One is
> defined as char * and the other as const char * as I remember.
> jbeukema

This would be an abuse of __FreeBSD__.  I believe this type of error
really occurs for any 4.4BSD based Unix.  To repeat the handbook:

In the dozens of ports that have been done, there have only been one
  or two cases where __FreeBSD__ should have been used.  Just because an
  earlier port screwed up and used it in the wrong place doesn't mean
  you should do so too.

Use:   #if (defined(BSD) && (BSD >= 199306))

-- David   (obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu)