Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:04:48 -0600
From:      freebsd@dreamchaser.org
To:        Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@teledomenet.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user ppp and PPPoE bridging

Hi Nikos,

Thank you and rw for your replies.

The freebsd box is connected directly via ed1 to the dsl modem;
a crossover cable is used; the packets are clearly reaching the modem,
as it records them as received.
I've simplified ppp.conf to the following, essentially the ppp.conf.sample:

default:
  set log all -timer

blackfoot:
  set device PPPoE:ed1
  enable lqr echo
  set cd 5
  set redial 0 0
  set dial
  set login
  set authname xxxxxxxx
  set authkey yyyyyyyy
  add! default HISADDR

#ifconfig ed1
ed1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         inet6 fe80::220:18ff:fe72:8b72%ed1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
         ether 00:20:18:72:8b:72

#tcpdump -efntl -i ed1
tcpdump: WARNING: ed1: no IPv4 address assigned
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on ed1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
00:20:18:72:8b:72 > ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, ethertype PPPoE D (0x8863), length 32: PPPoE PADI [Host-Uniq 0x402DA4C1] [Service-Name]
00:20:18:72:8b:72 > ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, ethertype PPPoE D (0x8863), length 32: PPPoE PADI [Host-Uniq 0x402DA4C1] [Service-Name]

It appears that no PADO reply is being received by the modem;
the modem shows two packets being transmitted, but non being received.
Since the line is marked as up by the modem,
and since the line comes up properly when the modem is operating in
full PPPoE mode, I'm puzzled as to what kind of mismatch could be
preventing the ISP end from responding.
This is a zyxel 642r modem; I can't try my other modem, a cisco 678,
because it doesn't support a vci > 63.

The modem is set to use VC-based multiplexing, vpi=0, vci=100
These are the parameters used for PPPoE, and I presume are still
required as part of the ATM layer when bridging.

I am assuming there should be no need for my ISP to be notified that I
am trying to use bridging in the modem, since it should be transparent
on their end.  They claim not to support bridging, but I don't see how
they can say that, other than that they don't want to deal with the
support issues.  Is this a reasonable assumption?