Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:29:15 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        charon@seektruth.org, Baldur Gislason <baldur@foo.is>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spontanious reboots

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 12:26:55AM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> In particular, memtest isn't a foolproof method of testing
> memory..there are just too many things it cannot pick up.  Physically
> swap out the memory..it's the only way to eliminate that possibility.

For example...

We had a system which occasionally exhibited memory corruption (bit
twiddling in certain parts of 4KB pages) and spent months trying
to track it down. It happily passed a few days of running memtest.
After replacing each bit of hardware in turn, we eventually replaced
the motherboard and the problem went away.

As far as I could see, the main difference between the working and
non-working motherboard was a heat sink on top of the memory controler
chip.

	David.