Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:45:06 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem building Mozilla

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 09:31:43AM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Bernd Walter writes:
>  > On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 07:56:58AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>  > > My attempts to build Mozilla on a quad-CPU AS4100 running a
>  > > locally-built copy of 5.1-RELEASE consistently fail, ending:
>  >
>  > Oh - the port was updated to 1.4
>  > Downgrade the port to 5.1-RELEASE time.
>  > mozilla-1.4 already had problems when it was mozilla-devel.
>  > I'm running mozilla-1.3.1,2 - the process was started on 21Jun03 so I
>  > have a good reason to believe it's stable.
>  >

> You actually got mozilla to build and work?  On alpha!?!

I use it daily.

[55]cicely12# ps -ax | grep mozilla
  558  p3  T      0:00.04 /bin/sh ./run-mozilla.sh ./mozilla-bin
  569  p3  T    3463:37.07 ./mozilla-bin
19293  pf  L+     0:00.01 grep mozilla
[56]cicely12# uname -a
FreeBSD cicely12.cicely.de 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #1: Thu Jun 19 20:58:48 CEST 2003     ticso@cicely12.cicely.de:/var/d3/c12-2003-06-13/src/sys/alpha/compile/CICELY12  alpha

Joe Marcus Clarke did a good job to get the changes into the port.
Actually the fix was easier on 5.x because of vtable changes.
It still does not work on 4.x with the system compiler, but might
work if compiled with gcc3.
So much about xpcoms idea to be compiler independent...
It took me a long time to realise that they just access the compilers
vtable of the modules without encapsulating it.

The xpcom tests also worked on 1.4, but the build failed nearly
before finishing :(
Unfortunately I went out of time, but it's still on my todo list.
Also on my list is having native Java support.

ticso@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de