Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:56:54 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        joshk@tanisys.com (Josh Karnes)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble

>that was months ago.  We still get the same nagging error message every day:
>
>"CLEAN FLAG IS WRONG IN SUPERBLOCK"
>"FIX? [yn]"
>
>We say "y", then reboot, then fsck and get the same error message.

   I'm not sure I understand. Are you running fsck every day or something? If
so, don't do that. fsck is not intended to be run on mounted filesystems. If
you run it and then answer 'yes' to any of the questions, you will certainly
cause some form of filesystem corruption (although not probably serious). We
used to run fsck in the /etc/daily script with the '-n' (nowrite), but when
the foolishness of this was revealed (i.e. when lots of people started
complaining about the bogus output), we removed it. It was never useful very
useful, often lead to undo concern, and had significant amounts of overhead
for people with lots of filesystems.
   Anyway, fsck should only be run on *unmounted* filesystems - such as the
case during system startup.

-DG