Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:21:22 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Standard bsdlabel(8) layout not understood by Alpha bootblocks?

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 03:27 am, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When migrating to a larger disk on my AlphaPC 164SX yesterday,
> I've found that the standard bsdlabel(8) layout is not understood
> by the Alpha bootblocks.  By "standard" I mean that the `a'
> partition holding the root file system starts at offset 16.
>
> I did "bsdlabel -B -w da1 auto", then split the auto-created
> `a' partition (that starts from offset 16) to /, /usr, /tmp,
> and /var, then used newfs/mount/dump/restore to copy file
> systems to a new location.
>
> After a reboot, bootblocks complained that /boot/loader was
> not found.
>
> I re-edited the label, and changed the partition `a' to start
> from offset 0, doing another newfs/mount/dump/restore cycle,
> this resulted in a mountable disk.
>
> This is with 6.0-CURRENT...

Yes, there is no standard.  See sys/disklabel.h and note that there are
different offsets for different archs.

#if defined(__i386__) || defined(__amd64__) || defined(__ia64__)
#define LABELSECTOR	1			/* sector containing label */
#define LABELOFFSET	0			/* offset of label in sector */
#endif

#ifdef __alpha__
#define LABELSECTOR	0
#define LABELOFFSET	64