Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2013 08:56:33 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mutt vs db44 // Bug in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.database.mk ?

Am 09.02.2013 14:13, schrieb Raphael Eiselstein:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 01:51:09PM +0100, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
>> Have you tried to set
>>
>> # WITH_BDB_VER
>> #                               - User defined global variable to set Berkeley DB version.
>> # <UNIQUENAME>_WITH_BDB_VER
>> #                               - User defined port specific variable to set Berkeley DB
>> #                                 version.
>> in /etc/make.conf?
>
> havn't tried yet. But for me it makes more sens to pin all ports to the
> *same* version of BDB.

Yes it does, but it should not be an obsolete version.

For me, it does not make sense to pin ports to obsolete db4* versions at
all.  Set WITH_BDB_HIGHEST=yes in /etc/make.conf, install db5, and
reinstall all ports that depend on db4* so they get moved to db5, and
move on - which may require that you report issues if a port does not
work with db5, or a port fails to detect db5 properly.

I have considered making WITH_BDB_HIGHEST=yes the default, but I am
loathe to do that until the day we can do -exp runs again.

See <https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/BerkeleyDBCleanup>; as well, and feel
free to add requirements to the migration.

> Is there any problem linking db44 to *any* port?
> in /etc/make.conf I'd set
> -----------------------
> WITH_BDB_VER=44
> -----------------------
>
> What will fail if I do so? (recompiling all our local packages will take 12h+
> just to find out ...)
>
> Why do we have so much versions of bdb in our ports?

Because some (very few) ports have particular requirements about the
API; other than that, I - as maintainer of many of the db4* ports and of
the db5 port - concur with Scot Hetzel's two postings as of 8 - 9 hours
ago in this same thread; particularly, if a port's dependency logic does
not match what the port's auto-configuration detects (whether autoconf
or some other system), then the port must be fixed.

If the mutt port records a db42 requirement but mutt's autoconf picks up
db44, that is a bug in the port's Makefile that should be reported to
mutt's port maintainer ("make -C /usr/ports/mail/mutt maintainer) by a PR.

Feel free to Cc: me on PRs to ports that merely _use_ some of my db
ports, or ask the port's maintainer (mutt's port maintainer in this
case) to approach me for help with the dependencies.

Do Cc: me on PRs regarding Berkeley DB specific parts of Mk/bsd.database.mk.

Best regards
Matthias