Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 12:02:07 -0700
From:      chip.wiegand@simrad.com
To:        dv8@ctcweb.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: personal server

owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG wrote on 05/06/2002 11:13:25 AM:

> I'm just wondering if you can help me with a problem.
> I would like to set up my own server from my own business. I don't know
> how to do this and my ISP is not willing to tell me. (I wonder why).
> Perhaps you know the steps to take other than a domain name and
> configuring a server. I do not want to rent memory from another computer
> outside my own building.
>
> Thank you
> Dennis
> valence_enterprises@hotmail.com

You don't specify what kind of 'server' you want to set up, but you do
mention
you contacted your isp, so I am assuming you are interested in a web
server.
If so, apache is in the freebsd ports, which means installation is easy.
Configuring
will depend on your needs, and you would do good to buy a book on apache,
of which
there are many to choose from.

You will also want to set up a machine to use as a firewall between your
web server
and the internet. Alternatives would be a router/firewall device or
installing the
firewall on the web server. Probably the best route is a machine dedicated
to firewall
and a second machine dedicated to web serving.

This type of set up is quite common amoung *nix'ers and hobbiests. Check
out apache.org
at http://httpd.apache.org/ as well as http://www.freebsd.org/.

Hope this helps,
--
Chip Wiegand
Computer Services

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
     --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment
Corporation, 1977
 (They why do I have 9? Somebody help me!)