Date:      Wed, 06 May 1998 13:28:28 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ethernet

>Dealing with LKMs really only requires defining a way of specifying
>the locator arguments.  Then, the autoconfiguration code locates the
>parent node, and attempts to match/probe the device given the new
>driver/locators.

No, you have to go beyond this.  If I attempt to load an EISA driver,
it may need to load the EISA bus driver, etc.  This means that further
dependency information and the ability to dynamically add and remove
locators is required.  You want to be able to support devices and their
locators going away too.  The transition from statically compiled locaters
to a mixture of static and dynamically registered ones, along with the
requisite reference counting and callbacks for when nodes disappear seems
a somewhat non-trivial addition to how config.new works now.

>The reason THAT hasn't been done is because the LKM interface sucks
>rocks (and it's basically the same as FreeBSD's), but that's been known
>for a while.

LKMs don't just suck rocks in *BSD, they are rocks. 8-)

--
Justin