Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 2008 14:00:08 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.1 Content

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 11:20:53PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 03:01:48PM -0600, Dan Allen wrote:
> > On 3 Sep 2008, at 1:53 PM, Guido Falsi wrote:
> >> If you just want na instant workstation, why you just don't try
> >> Freesbie or something like that?
> >
> > Because I want something from the source -- from the main team -- and
> > not something downstream.
>
> I think what you might be looking for is, believe it or not, PC-BSD.  I
> believe you can install PC-BSD and get a working X desktop with a
> browser and all that jazz right out of the box.

Don't forget DesktopBSD.  I'm not a big user of PC-BSD or DesktopBSD.
My desktop operating system is Mac OS X.  My servers are FreeBSD
WITHOUT_X11=YES.

Howeever, it is my understanding, from what I've read, that DesktopBSD
tries to stay closer to "the source" in that they use the ports
collection to install most of the "make it easier for end-users" stuff.
They seem to have an installer and some extra ports.  That may give you
more of the warm fuzzies than PC-BSD.

lambert@lambertfam.org