Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 01:39:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam Wight <adamw@holonet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld failed...

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Adam Wight wrote:

> > > dd if=/dev/zero of=boot2.ldr bs=512 count=1 2>/dev/null
> > > *** Error code 1
>
> > Probably it consequences of recent dd changes...

Sorry about that! Instead of relying on the kernel being newer than the world
and haveing the new ioctl FIODTYPE, dd now only warns if the ioctl doesn't
work.

> So I'm not entirely alone, then.  I actually kernel panic quite reliably every
> time I try to dd onto a floppy.  I can dd from one file to another without
> a problem, and floppy access in general works as always.
>
> What debugging information would be relevant?

That sounds like it could have just been fixed by phk. If it's not that and
is the writing past the end of a block device issue, use the character
device instead.

> -adam

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman           /  "Any sufficiently advanced bug is    \
 green@FreeBSD.org                   |   indistinguishable from a feature."  |
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!    \        -- Rich Kulawiec               /