Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 23:30:04 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        sderdau@xtdl.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System hosts response is slow.

>I have a few p75's with 64mgs of ram ea.  I have web pages
>on these systems.  At times when calling up a web page on one
>of the boxes the response is very very slow.  Any suggestions
>will be helpful. Disregarding the speed of the modems phone line
>and anything external to the system.  We have a few pages on
>the system that are getting alot of hits.
>
>There has to be a way to get these systems to respond alot
>faster.  Many times the message server did not respond or is
>too busy comes up when calling up the pages.  Or the information
>will come through dog slow.  Disregarding the sizes of any
>gif jpegs or anything.  The response is just way too slow.
>
>Do I have to get a bigger system to handel this.  It is not
>like there are ton's of pages on our system.  A few.  And these
>do get many many hits.

   You didn't mention which version of FreeBSD you are using. The problem is
likely caused by the listen queue limit being too low, causing some connection
requests to get dropped. Check the value of "SOMAXCONN" in /sys/sys/socket.h.
Make sure this is 128 (it is probably much lower if you are running 2.1R or
older FreeBSD). Also make sure that the second argument to the listen() syscall
in your web server has a value that is large, 128 for instance. The actual
value that the kernel uses will be limited to SOMAXCONN.

-DG

David Greenman