Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 22:22:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   implementing a fs on a raw partition

As I reading on filesystem algorithms and principles [bach 86 and mckusick
96], I am tempted to try my hand on a free partition. From my
understanding, I should be using the partition as a character device for
raw i/o in order to avoid the current filesystem overhead (/dev/rwd0s3).
From that point, I've been using the code from /usr/src/sys/msdosfs in
order to get something going at first... but this has shown to be an
exhausting task. I keep running into dependencies and such which make it
seem impossible to implement. Perhaps I have taken a wrong turn at
Albuquerque, so I'd appreciate if anyone could give a hint to get me up
and running.

Thanks in advance,
Marc

[bach 86] The Design of the UNIX Operating System, Maurice J. Bach
[mckusick 96] The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating
System, Marshall McKusick, Keith Bostic, Michael J. Karels, John S.
Quarterman