Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 14:29:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Chris Cook <ccook@tcworks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Corrupted File System?

Chris Cook wrote to freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG:

> This may be off topic, but I figured it would be a good place to ask...
> we had one of our servers "lock up" for some reason.  Had to reboot it
> without shutting down properly and when it came up fsck ran and had some
> errors.  I told it to fix them all but I've now run fsck about 1000
> times and it still comes up with errors like the ones below... It cannot
> seem to fix them, is this serious or do I not have to worry?  I've even
> deleted the mrtg directory, after replacing the files in that directory
> from backup fsck will complain again... here is the output:
>
> [...]
>
> Even if you tell it to fix the errors, they will come back... THANKS for
> any help!

Make sure you run ``fsck -p'', and do so in single-user mode.  Unless your
disk/controller is actually hosed, you should not get such "repeat" errors
if you follow these guidelines.

Most repeat errors are as a result of a sysadmin running fsck on a
mounted, live filesystem in multi-user mode.  Don't do that ;-)

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon