Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 05:17:03 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@metrol.net>
To:        Carl-Johan Kihlbom <div@newcode.se>
Subject:   Re: Printing with CUPS

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 05:09 am, Carl-Johan Kihlbom wrote:
> On tisdag, okt 1, 2002, at 13:55 Europe/Stockholm, Michael Collette
>
> wrote:
> > Carl-Johan Kihlbom wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I'm trying to get my FreeBSD computer to act as a print server. I'm
> >> not
> >> having much success though.
> >>
> >> I'm running 4.6.2-STABLE and I've installed cups-base-1.1.14 via
> >> /stand/sysinstall. I started cupsd manually with
> >> /usr/local/sbin/cupsd,
> >> and I can access the web interface at http://localhost:631/. There I
> >> added my HP Deskjet 970 CXi connected via USB successfully, and was
> >> able to print a test page from the web interface.
> >>
> >> However, I seem to be missing a lot of important files. I have almost
> >> none of the lp* binaries in /usr/sbin/. I.e. no lpstat, lpinfo,
> >> lpadmin, etc. All I have is:
> >
> > When you're looking in /usr/sbin, what you're seeing are the default
> > lpr tools
> > that came with FreeBSD.  Cups is all in /usr/local/bin.
> >
> > The easiest way to correct your problem is to remove execute
> > permissions from
> > the /usr/sbin files.
>
> I have no lp* files in /usr/local/bin. So that's not it. Locate lpinfo
> returns nothing.

Carl-Johan,

When you do the following command, are you seeing the same stuff I am here?

metrol [~] pkg_info | grep cups
cups-1.1.15.1       The Common UNIX Printing System
cups-base-1.1.15.1_4 The Common UNIX Printing System
cups-lpr-1.1.15.1_1 The CUPS BSD and system V compatibility binaries
cups-pstoraster-7.05.5 GNU Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to non-PS

You need all 4 of those ports installed.  I'll bet you don't have the cups-lpr
port in there.  Probably the missing ingredient.

Even still, my previous post is still valid.  If you don't change the
permissions of the lp files in /usr/sbin, you're going to have a rather
confused system.

Later on,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."