Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:47:46 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] enabling LLDB debugger by default on amd64

Hi Ed,

How are you planning on building the LLVM / Clang libraries?  Will they =
be statically linked to the compiler and the debugger, or do you intend =
to make them dynamic too?  I found about a small slowdown with a dynamic =
clang, but the link times were much lower when building. =20

Currently, the LLVM build is one of the big serialisation points in our =
build system (we build each of the individual libraries entirely =
independently), so if you're hacking on the build system it would =
perhaps be nice to build a single libLLVM (in /lib/private) that could =
compile all of the LLVM sources in parallel and then be used by Clang =
and LLDB (and any LLVM-based binutils replacements we start to add).  =
This would likely more than offset the increased build time for LLDB on =
any multicore system.

David