Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:36:24 -0500
From:      Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
To:        'Julian Elischer' <julian@elischer.org>, Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        "Carlos A. Carnero Delgado" <carnero@icrt.cu>, Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Annoying ARP warning messages.

From: Julian Elischer [mailto:julian@elischer.org]
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> > In this example, does the xl0 interface share the same MAC address?
>
> umm actually, yes.. sends switches insane.. :-)
> if you don't do the step about source Mac address replacement
> then they have different addresses. (though I can't guarantee that)

Is there support for 802.3ad in FreeBSD? This would be the best
way to gang interfaces together in a standard fashion. It involves
LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol), which prevents loops
@ L2 (I think its an extension of STP). Packet reordering is also
solved (the simple round robin scheme achieves rather poor performance
due to this problem).

Another way to do it is with OSPF ECMP (Equal-Cost Multipath Routing),
depends on whether you think L2 is cool or L3 :)

--don (don@sandvine.com www.sandvine.com)