Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:17:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Amanda Chou <achou@best.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   netboot.rom

  FreeBSD comes with source for building netboot.rom, which
  is a 16K rommable image. We can't seem to find any docs on
  _what kind_ of PROM, EEPROM, or whatever we can use in the
  various cards. Ideally we'd like to use el-cheapo no-name
  NE2000 cards for development, but also want to know for
  other supported cards (e.g. 3c509). We have called 3Com and
  other manufacturers, as well as some additional companies,
  and have been unable to encounter anyone with sufficient clue
  to answer. (We know they're in there, but they're well-hidden.)

  A company we were referred to, LanWorks Technologies, who we
  were referred to by 3Com, said that they know, but aren't about
  to tell. (They saw us as some sort of threat to their business
  of writing software for these things.)

  Alternatively, does anyone know of inexpensive PROM-based
  ISA boot cards, which (ideally) hold more than 16K, and could
  be used instead of a LAN-card based boot prom?

  Thanks a lot!

Amanda
------
achou@best.com