Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:52:05 +0100
From:      Jamie Heckford <jamie@uk.clara.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum Mirroring question

Hi,

Not sure if this is supposed to be like this or if I have
set it up wrong.

I have a vinum mirror with the total size supposed to be
1024M.

But, here is what df -h reports:

/dev/vinum/mirror   1.9G   1.0K   1.8G     0%    /usr/local/var/nntpcache-map

which makes it appear as if the disks are striping.

However, vinum reports the following under list:

S mirror.p0.s0          State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       1023 MB
S mirror.p0.s1          State: up       PO:     1023 MB Size:       1023 MB

Im confused. Is this a bug or have I set something up wrong? I thought mirroring
a drive would allow you to have a partition on one disk drive, and when its written
it writes to both drives at the same time.

Below is my Vinum configuration (Ignore the vinum0 volume, that is setup and
works fine :) )

# Vinum configuration, saved at Thu Jul 19 10:34:27 2001 - Jamie
drive vinumdrive0 device /dev/da1e
drive vinumdrive1 device /dev/da2e
drive vinumdrive2 device /dev/da3e
volume vinum0
plex name vinum0.p0 org striped 512s vol vinum0
sd name vinum0.p0.s0 drive vinumdrive0 plex vinum0.p0 len 69584384s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s
sd name vinum0.p0.s1 drive vinumdrive1 plex vinum0.p0 len 69584384s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 512s
sd name vinum0.p0.s2 drive vinumdrive2 plex vinum0.p0 len 69584384s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 1024s
# Mirror
drive vinumdrive3 device /dev/da3a
drive vinumdrive4 device /dev/da2a
volume mirror setupstate
 plex name mirror.p0 org concat
  sd name mirror.p0.s0 drive vinumdrive3 size 0b
  sd name mirror.p0.s1 drive vinumdrive4 size 0b

Please let me know if I have miss-configured something.

Cross posted to stable incase it is a bug, more than likely i've got something
wrong somewhere though so apologies in advance ;)

Thanks,