Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:04:21 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: swi4: clock taking 40% cpu?!?

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 12:51:28PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Web server under heavy'ish load (7 on a 2 cpu system) running
> 8.2-RELEASE-p4 i386 I'm seeing this:
>
> PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
> 12  root     -32    -     0K   112K WAIT    0 129:01 39.99% {swi4: clock}
>
> Any ideas why the clock should be taking so much cpu? HZ=100 if that
> makes a difference ...

Could be wrong, but I believe this correlates with IRQ 4.  What does
vmstat -i show for a total and rate for irq4 if you run it, wait a
few seconds, then run it again?  Does the number greatly/rapidly
increase?

Shot in the dark here, but the only thing I can think of that might
cause this is software being extremely aggressive with calls to things
like gettimeofday(2) or clock_gettime(2).  Really not sure.  ntpd maybe
(unlikely but possible)?  Sort of grasping at straws here.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |