Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 15:00:21 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults (Was: Re: Out of file descriptors ??)

"Brian W. Buchanan" wrote:

> A nice semi-solution to this problem of having to copy lines from
> defaults/rc.conf would be a good curses-based rc.conf configuration tool.

	Yes, this would be an excellent idea. However to save you time, I'll
expound the 3 different areas of argument that always cause this project to
stall:

1. GUI platform
	curses
	tcl/tk
	web/cgi
	other

2. Data storage pattern
	flat file
	multiple flat files
	database
		sub arguments, what type of database
	data storage location

3. How to interface 1. and 2. with the installation/upgrade procedure
	Many arguments here, all depending on what choices people prefer for 1.
and 2.

	You can find much detail about this in the archives, however each time the
discussion comes up it spins and spins, but never lands, so we continue to
do nothing. I released mergemaster in part to try and light a candle
instead of continuing to curse the darkness, and in part to show that it's
not impossible to update the rc's (in particular, although there are other
important file update issues) within the current system. Then /etc/defaults
came along, and, well... I think I've said enough about that already today.
:)

	What this boils down to is, code talks. The possible designs have been
discussed to death, it's time for someone to write something. Of course
that'll get ripped apart too, but at least we'll have somewhere new to
start from.

Doug