Date:      Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:38:32 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Huge interrupt overhead reported after RAM added to Atom-based system

I've just seen something very peculiar. I have here a dual Atom
(D525) system which was running with 1 GB of RAM, and this morning
I put a 4 GB module into the system instead. Suddenly, the
systat(8) and top(8) commands were both reporting bursts of
interrupt overhead as high as 25% of total CPU capacity. Yet, in
the display from the systat -vmstat option, no additional
interrupts were appearing on the right hand side of the screen
where interrupt sources were listed.

The system is running FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE.

The documentation for several motherboards online mention that the
Atom can be run with 4 GB of RAM with a "64 bit operating system."

I can't tell whether something non-obvious is going on under the
hood -- either in the chipset or in the CPUs -- that's racking up
overhead, or if the interrupt overhead doesn't exist at all and the
reported CPU load is an artifact of some weirdness in the kernel. I
need to know, though, before I deploy the system... so I'd
appreciate any advice or ideas from any kernel experts who might be
reading messages here.

--Brett Glass