Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:35:17 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>, hackers@freebsd.org, webmaster@spider.parasoft.com
Subject:   Re: Development and validation tools...

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Julian Elischer wrote:

> >         As a good example, in many cases, I've never been able to wedge
> > FreeBSD in to a commercial application, simply because most managers feel
> > its "not a commercial grade product". Unfortunately, since no one will give
> > it a try, it will never become one because "no one else is using it, so
> > how good can it be?".
>
> some examples..
>
> we're using FreeBSD for our system..
> projected sales into the many thousands..
>
> Vicor are using FreeBSD for a large project
>  (read many millions of dollars)
>
> TRW are using freeBSD for similar "backend"
> anonimous processing servers.

	Here's a question/idea...if I work for a large company and
want to get the head of IS to look into/appraise the viability of
using FreeBSD over some commercial product, I'd like to be able to
go to him with a proposal that states "Company XYZ is using it for
this/that purpose"...and be able to back it up somehow...

	When one goes for a job, one usually puts at the bottom of their
CV "References available upon request"...can we do something like that?

	Ie. Julian works for Company XYZ, and has convinced the company
to use FreeBSD.  Company XYZ is a very respected company, and they
submit their name as part of a list of references.  Then, when requested,
a simple list of 3-5 companies get produced from that list, maybe even
have it so that they are industry-related companies...

	Then, go one step further...create a quick WWW form that me,
as an employee can go to and request a list of references that I can
use inside of my proposal.  *Most* ppl tend to look at the references,
but never actually call them (don't they?)...