Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2018 17:29:24 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi26-fbsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Alexander Kabaev <kabaev@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Attempting a xtoolchain-gcc head amd64->aarch64 cross buildworld failed for liblto_plugin.so loading error

On 2018-Apr-7, at 3:35 PM, Alexander Kabaev <kabaev at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 15:23:50 -0700
> Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>> My attempted, xtoolchain-gcc based, amd64->aarch64
>> cross-buildworld-buildkernel failed with:
>>=20
>> --- libc.so.7.full ---
>> /usr/local/bin/aarch64-unknown-freebsd12.0-ld: =
/usr/local/libexec/gcc/aarch64-unknown-freebsd12.0/6.3.0/liblto_plugin.so:=

>> error loading plugin: Service unavailable collect2: error: ld
>> returned 1 exit status *** [libc.so.7.full] Error code 1
>>=20
>> (I've not attempted such a build in a long time, so I do not
>> know how new this is. Historically I've done lots of such
>> builds. cortex-a53 was specifically targeted here.)
>> . . .
>=20
> IIRC, I had to disable LTO plugin in binutils and this need to
> disable it was there for a while.=20

Hmm . . .

# pkg info aarch64-binutils
aarch64-binutils-2.30_2,1
Name           : aarch64-binutils
Version        : 2.30_2,1
Installed on   : Tue Feb  6 17:37:31 2018 PST
Origin         : devel/aarch64-binutils
Architecture   : FreeBSD:12:amd64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : devel
Licenses       : GPLv3, LGPL3
Maintainer     : bapt at FreeBSD.org
WWW            : http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/
Comment        : GNU binutils for AArch64 cross-development
Options        :
        RELRO          : off
        STATIC         : on
. . . (no more options listed) . . .

# poudriere options -jFBSDFSSDjail -s devel/aarch64-binutils
[00:00:00] Appending to make.conf: /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/make.conf
=3D=3D=3D> The following configuration options are available for =
aarch64-binutils-2.30_2,1:
     RELRO=3Doff: enable -z relro in ELF linker by default
     STATIC=3Don: Build static executables and/or libraries
=3D=3D=3D> Use 'make config' to modify these settings
. . .

Controlling LTO's presence via my port build does
not seem to be the way to disable LTO.

This would suggest that I need to override part
of what buildworld does in order to force avoiding
lto. Such would be the first time that I've run
into that.

Looks like I've some research to do for how.

Thanks for letting me know.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi26-fbsd at yahoo.com