Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 18:43:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus>
To:        kallio@cc.jyu.fi
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is someone running heavy loaded inn server?

In reply:
> Please reply if you are running a heavy loaded News server.
>
> We have Pentium Pro 200 + 128M RAM + 3*4G IBM Wide + 2940 + 3COM 590
>
> +  Linux  RedHAt 4.1 !!!

     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ source of problem...

> running inn in heavy load and it does not work (kernel 2.0.30 not at all,
> kernel 2.0.27 maybe) System is slowing down and at last it hangs.

How many instances?

innd is a vm hog if you have any customers at all...

Linux VM leaves a lot to be desired...  if you want, do a side by side
comparison with FreeBSD using the NASA/AMES pitest with MX set to a
level just one digit above the largest MX value that will fit in
core...  pitest is an excellant CPU/FPU/RAM/VM subsystem
check/benchmark...  you can monitor RAM cram with either ps(1) (using
a custom -o string) or top to determine the proper setting of MX...
monitor the run using `/usr/bin/time -l pitest` and compare completion
stats...  FreeBSD will win...

for comparison: (MX=23, scalar): 12.6 million digits on a 1.5 Gig sun
supersparc: just under 107 hours, but using only (if I remember right)
just under 700Megs of RAM, g77 + gcc, -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer, on a
loaded development system, with some paging, Solaris 2.4, reniced -20,
4 CPU system, one dedicated to pitest, this is how I burn-in tested a
1G RAM upgrade for reliability...

pitest should run faster on a 128M system [less core, less precision]...

pitest should still be on wcarchive as:

	ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/pitest.tar.gz

pitest is the ultimate torture test benchmark...

> What kind of experience you have about FreeBSD + inn, what is the version
> of inn + FreeBSD you use?
>
> Does it work?

Yes FreeBSD rox with innd...  I think I have run one of [if not the]
highest innd load levels on a FreeBSD box...  This was using versions
starting with the SNAPS after the 2.0-RELEASE and up to 2.1-RELEASE...
2.0-RELEASE had broken VM...

the innd version was 1.4sec  [as i remember, that ain't too far off
from the actual meggage per instance (1.2-1.4M)]

> What about ccd? Linux mcd seems not to work, or maybe Linux 2940 driver
> has some problems (is it same as in FreeBSD).

ccd seems to still be either alpha-quality or beta-quality from what
the web page says, other than that, i have no idea...

is rodney grimes still in -hackers?  he was getting some amazing
striped throughput a couple of years ago...

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or