Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:07:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gabriel <gmains@southwind.net>
To:        iago <rnera@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: laptops

I have a KFC 9950 and an HP Omnibook 3000. Neither of them took too long
to set up.

Here is what I have learned so far:

Maestro II PCI soundcards are not yet supported. (I think they are in
5.0-Current) So no sound so far for the KFC.

The KFC also has an ATI Rage Pro LT 8MB video card in it. For some reason
when trying to run XF86Setup it bombs out. I have to run the setup
manually. That is a pain...

I have yet to have a problem with PCCard support in FreeBSD 3.2+ and 4.0+,
but then again I have a Zircom Realport, which is supported.

If you are going to get a top-of-the-line laptop, be prepaired for some of
the hardware, like the sound and modem to NOT be supported for
awhile....if ever.

Gabriel

Gabriel		                               SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
Department Manager                             120 S. Market
SouthWind Technical Support                    800-525-7963
This message has been answered by the OneMain.com Kansas Technical Support
Staff.  Serving the OneMain.com family of Companies in Kansas: fn.net,
hit.net, and southwind.net.