Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 07:51:28 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntpd / time server confusion

P. U. (Uli) Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de> types:
> Hi!
>
> Last night I thought it would be a nice idea to fetch the
> exact time from some internet time server.
> As far as I can see, I have ntpdate enabled in rc.conf and
> I have produced some kind of /etc/ntp.conf but doing
> # ntpdate I keep receiving messages like this:
>
> 18 Nov 10:39:42 ntpdate[56133]: no servers can be used,
> exiting
>
> In Google I found some confusing pages about time servers
> being down because of security risks.
>
> So my question is:
> Does this work at all and if yes
>   which lines should be put into my rc.conf and my ntp.conf?

ntp.conf isn't used by ntpdate, it's used by ntpd. You need to specify
the servers for ntpdate in ntpdate_flags in rc.conf. If your system is
up and connected full time, you probably want to use ntpd instead of
ntpdate. See the respective man pages for more information.

	 <mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.