Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:54:50 +1000
From:      "John Saunders" <john@nlc.net.au>
To:        "FreeBSD stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   inetd and libwrap issues

I have just converted over from a tcp_wrappers system to one using
the internal libwrap'ed inetd. For the most part I have got the
thing to work. One annoyance is that changes to /etc/hosts.allow
don't get automatically used until inetd is killed and re-started.
Does a SIGHUP work here, the man page doesn't mention it?

However I have come unstuck getting NFS to work. It seems that
portmap also has code to access libwrap. However I have tried
many combinations of hosts.allow lines and killing portmap, but
have not yet had it work. My log file says...

Jun 22 17:12:56 XXXXX portmap[78016]: connect from XXX.XX.XXX.X to \
getport(nfs): request from unauthorized host

The hosts.allow line is...

portmap : localhost XXXXX.domain YYYYY.domain : allow

When I kill off portmap and re-start it, rpcinfo -p shows...

root@XXXXX:/ {510} # rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper

So it appears to have lost the RPC registrations for mountd and
nfsd.

So what is the correct way to get the system back up and working
after what should be (or was before) a trivial change to the
hosts.allow file?

Cheers.
        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 041-822-3814      (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS P/L - Supplying a professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |