Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:10:21 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboot, no panic. Recovering from a crash.

* fury <fury@unixforever.net> [010405 06:28]:

> No it was NOT a hardware issue unlike many ppl stated, fact is, I have never
> figured it out.

Then how do you know it wasn't hardware?

I'm not saying you're wrong, fury, and I can see you're more than a bit
pissed off, but in the vast majority of cases it *does* turn out to be hardware.
I had similar problems to The Anarcat about a month ago,
(spontaneous reboots under fairly high load - make -j4 buildworld etc)
and couldn't get a fix here except for 'bad RAM/CPU/mobo'
No kernel errors, CVSupped at least once a week, no difference.

Decided to put up with it until I could upgrade the box, fitted a new CPU and
4X the RAM.  It was only then that I noticed that my second SIMM was only
half in the slot. Which meant that the minute BSD tried to use the last 8Mb
of that SIMM, I'd get a reboot.

> I really don't know how to put this, but since we're in a code freeze
> and I'm running stable, if a few people witness this behavior, well...

And that was my question too. All I can say to help is that 4-3-RC0
(built on April Fools Day) is running a treat now.

> FreeBSD shall.anarcat.yi.org 4.3-BETA FreeBSD 4.3-BETA #2: Wed Mar 14
> 18:50:48 EST 2001     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SHALL  i386
>
> A few minutes ago, I was doing a few things at the same time on my
> machine. I was doing a make install clean in
> sysutils/[gcombust|gtoaster|xcdroast], copying /mnt/cdr to ~/cdr, and
> opening a ssh session to my shell account.
>
> Before I could get to a password prompt on the shell account, I didn't
> even had time to realize what's going on that my computer beeped and was
> back to the BIOS POST startup procedure.

<nods> Shikima usually did it when I was on the wrong end of an SSH session.

> I had so much scrapped files that I interrupted the process at some
> point to restart it with "fsck -y". Things like UNREF DIR, LINK COUNT
> DIR, UNREF FILE, and all sort of evil warnings of the kind.

That was a big worry too - didn't lose any data here though.
Do you run softupdates? Might be worth enabling them until you get this fixed;
I didn't really notice the overhead on a P133/32Mb.

> The "crash" has somehow been recorded in wtmp. last says:
>
> anarcat          ttyp1    :0               Mer  4 avr 23:45 - 23:47 (00:01)
> reboot           ~                         Mer  4 avr 23:43
> anarcat          ttyp4    :1               Mer  4 avr 23:26 - crash (00:17)
> apocalypse.

That's interesting.
I never managed to find any log evidence that a crash had happened.

> Don't do as daddy does, boys and girls. Do backups. Often. You never
> know when the shit'll the fan. :)

I(n my experience, it's the day before you make a monthly backup :^]
--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns